Avery County Schools Policy Policy Code: 4705/7825
CONFIDENTIALITY OF PERSONAL IDENTIFYING INFORMATION
Avery County Board of Education recognizes the need to protect students and employees from the improper release of social security numbers and other personal identifying information. To this end, the board will ensure that all schools comply with the Identity Protection Act of 2005 and any other federal and state laws governing the collection, use and disclosure of personal identifying information. No person shall knowingly disclose, transfer or unlawfully use the social security number or other personal identifying information of any employee, student or other individual.
For purposes of this policy, personal identifying information includes employer taxpayer identification numbers; drivers license number; state identification card number; passport number; checking, savings, credit card and debit card numbers; PIN codes; digital signatures; any numbers or information that can be used to access an individual’s financial resources; biometric data; fingerprints; and passwords.
The superintendent shall establish rules and regulations to implement this policy. The superintendent shall ensure that:
• The confidentiality of social security numbers and personal identifying information is maintained consistent with legal requirements.
• The unlawful collection, disclosure and use of social security numbers and personal identifying information is prohibited.
• Access to and dissemination of information or documents containing social security numbers and personal identifying information is limited internally within the school district and externally with the general public.
• Documents containing social security numbers and personal identifying information are disposed of properly.
• Social security numbers and personal identifying information are redacted from public documents.
• Social security numbers and personal identifying information are collected only when specifically authorized by law or if collection is imperative for the performance of the school district’s duties and such need has been clearly documented.
• Board procedures governing the maintenance and destruction of records are followed for all documents containing social security numbers and other personal identifying information.
Avery County Schools Policy Code: 4705/7825 Page 1 of 2 This policy and its rules shall be published in the appropriate handbooks, manuals and other similar documents.
Any individual who fails to comply with this policy and the superintendent’s rules and regulations will be subject to disciplinary action up to and including suspension or expulsion for students and termination for employees. In addition, such person may be subject to criminal prosecution.
Legal References: Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, 20 U.S.C. 1232g, h, 34 C.F.R. pt. 99; G.S. 14-113.20; ch. 75, art. 2A; 132-1.8; 132-1.10; 143-64.60
Cross References: Confidential Information (policy 2125/7315), Student Records (policy 4700), Personnel Files (policy 7820)
Updated: 1/7/08; 06/02/08
Avery County Schools Policy Code: 4705/7825 Page 2 of 2