Avery County Schools Policy Policy Code 6321
The superintendent or designee will develop school bus routes in accordance with state law and regulations. All bus routes will be on file in the superintendent’s office and all changes will be filed within 10 days after such change becomes effective.
Students ordinarily will be assigned to a bus which passes within one mile of the student’s residence. To the extent practicable and economically feasible, ride time should be less than 45 minutes one way.
TRANSPORTATION TO LOCATIONS OTHER THAN HOME
Upon request, the superintendent or his/her designee may, but is not required to, assign a student to a bus to transport the student to and/or from a location other than home if the following conditions are met:
• a written request signed by the parent or legal guardian must state the specific location other than home to which the student is to be transported and must acknowledge that the parent and not the school district is responsible for the student’s safety once the child has departed from the bus;
• the request for such transportation can not require a bus to deviate in any significant way from an established route;
• there must be capacity on the bus, if the request would necessitate the student riding a different bus from the regularly assigned bus;
• the student’s residence and requested bus stop must be within the zone eligible for transportation service;
• the request for such transportation may not cause the school district to incur any additional cost; and
• the proposed bus stop must meet any safety standards established by law, the board, superintendent or principal.
Any changes in bus stops must be approved by the superintendent or designee.
BUS ROUTES IN HAZARDOUS CONDITIONS
Avery County Schools Policy Code: 6321 Page 1 of 2 Policy Code: 6321
School buses will not be allowed to operate if there is a serious threat to the safety of students or drivers. The superintendent may develop a more limited bus route for hazardous weather conditions in order to operate only on roads that are safe. To the extent possible, parents will be notified in advance of the bus route which will be used in hazardous conditions. The hazardous conditions bus route will be on file in the superintendent’s office.
A student who is identified as having special needs following procedures in the North Carolina Procedures Governing Programs and Services for Children with Special Needs will be provided with transportation services as required by law.
Legal References: Individuals with Disabilities Education Act Amendments of 1997, 20 U.S.C. 1400 et seq.; G.S. 115C-240(d), -246; Policies Governing Services for Children with Disabilities, State Board of Education Policy EXCP-000; State Board of Education Policies TRAN-000, -002, - 006
Adopted: 8/05/02; 4/28/17
Avery County Schools Policy Code: 6321 Page 2 of 2